Friday, February 5, 2016

About me- Charlie Williams


Hi I'm Charlie Williams. Im from NYC and moved out to Montclair, NJ when I was about 3. Im 17 now and go Montclair High School. I play for a high level soccer team (SDFC) and I would say  photography came as a gift. I always had an eye for photos and fashion since  was younger. My mom is an interior designer and she went to Pratt so maybe that has a little to do with it too. 

Growing up was pretty hard in terms of race issues. I always had an identity problem because my mom is black and my dad is white. (which makes me biracial) A lot of kids used to think I was ignorant or not telling the truth about my race. But as you can see in my photo I look neither and a little bit of Spanish or even a little Asian. For me, the arts is my way out. I guess when I was 14, I picked up my mom's camera and started taking photos and on my I Phone and it honestly came to me  naturally. When I take pictures, I don't look for that average photo. I try to find a story behind it or different angles that the normal person can't create.

Montclair is a little town. We do have kids who are trying to be different in terms of their sex, race,  and looks. But for the most part a lot of kids aren't ready for people to be different, look different, and dress different. Style and standing out is a big thing for me and my identity because I like being unique in my own way and being an individual. Style has always been a big part of me. Every now and than I will design a t-shirt or hoodie for myself and of course I get a lot of love and hate for it but that's what people will say and that makes me a stronger person each day. I don't have a specific designer I like because I love mixing it up between street style and casual looks. I want to pursue my life in fashion photography and marketing when I'm older. I want to get to explore the different fashion cities of the world and talk with people about what the next hot line coming out or wear the outfits that haven't even released. 

But that doesn't mean I don't like having fun with my friends. I will go to parties and hang out.  I just want to set a goal for myself to be the best I can be, be nice, be positive, and if people hate than they hate. That won't stop me from reaching my mission. High school is a struggle with people's opinion or strange looks but in the end its for the better. I think what also helped me a lot is the small community that I'm in at the High School called CSJ (Center for Social Justice).  It focuses on racism, sexism, ageism, love is love, being a different sex, and basically every topic. I like a lot because you can really understand your neighbors surroundings of what makes them unique. we currently are learning about people  being transgender and same sex marriage. For me I think its awesome to know this because it opens my eyes to a lot of things and allows my friends to know that Im hear for them if their having any trouble. 

I like who I am as a person being into fashion, photography, going to a great school with great people, and living good!   



No comments:

Post a Comment